Some pseudo-random comments...

Monday, April 30, 2007

My poem: "Post-Winter non-Blues"

I was a student in Bob Bauch's writing class at Northern Virginia Community College in late 1985 and early 1986. Mr. Bauch liked most of the poem but disliked the ending (the portion I've converted to blue). He said I'd taken "a nice poem and turned it into a boner poem". I've presented this poem (the part in black) on one of my webpages. I let my wife read it last night and she liked the part in blue best! I think I'll take her opinion...

Post-Winter non-BLUES


The great wheel turns, dead winter burns away

the old; leaves appear like green jewel arrays

on trees of coat hangers made. Flowers spray

their need in red and blue and white display.


A special language only bees can read:

They slip into the flowers so smooth - casual

in approach; take a bit, leave another's seed

and flitter off in lust for renewal


I sit to watch the world unfold, with beer

in hand, good friends nearby. Women go by,

their nipples poking through light shirts so clear,

my spirit-it rises, my thoughts, a bee, now fly!


For Bees or Humans tis the time of year

for pollination, sunburn, honey, pollen and beer.

My origional poems and storys for Bob's classes were written on a Commodore 64 (with a wonderful word processor I was given for free) and printe4red on a dot matrix printer. Alas, this word processor did not have a spell checker so I've found usage for spell checkers on the more advanced (and far more expensive!) word processors I've used since.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home